Showing 17 results

Archival description
James Bay (Victoria, B.C. : Bay)
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

16 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Land acquisition documents

Series consists of records dealing with land sales including conveyances, deeds, mortgages, and land and Crown grants.

The documentation traces the history of ownership of various properties until they come into the possession of the Corporation of the City of Victoria.

The City acquired ownership of many of these properties for the purpose of rights of way for sewer, paths etc., the creation or extension of roads, or for public schools. City properties acquired for other purposes include the BC Agricultural Association lands at Willows in Oak Bay, the proposed cemetery at Ogden Point and Ross Bay Cemetery. Copies of various Crown grants such as the James Bay mud flats, Mt. Douglas and Beacon Hill Park are also included.

Victoria (B.C.). City Clerk's Office

View from the top of St. Andrew's Cathedral, looking south west towards James Bay

The closest long, thin building in the foreground is a cattle shed, next to it the Theatre Comique and next to that the Mechanics Institute. Across from these buildings on Fort Street is a livery stable and next to that on the west side is the Marrott Exchange Hotel. In the right background is St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church on Douglas Street. Next to that on the south side is the Union Club of Prince Robert House. Across Courtney Street from the Union Club is the Indian Agency Office, 1892.