- 1873-[ca. 1932]
Part of City of Victoria fonds
Series consists of records of ownership and usage of burial plots in Ross Bay Cemetery.
There are five volumes in this series. Each volume contains the following data elements: block, folio, road, plot, name and remarks. The folio number refers to the page on which the name appears in the plot books (CRS 311), the name section shows what person is interred in each grave, and the remarks section contains notes on the transfer of plots, reserve plots, exhumations, re-interments, and depths.
The organization of the volumes reflects the layout of the cemetery, a grid system that uses alphanumeric designations for the blocks, roads, direction, and plots.
The first volume, dated 1873 to ca. 1907, covers blocks A through M (not always in order). The other four volumes contain the same information as the earlier book, but have been updated. Volumes 2 and 3 contains blocks A through R. Volume 4 includes blocks S through W as well as additions to blocks Q and N and Sections 1 and 2, which were new areas of the Cemetery opened up around the time of the first World War. Volume 5 has the addition of sections 3 and 4, which were new areas of the Cemetery, opened up in the 1920s. Volumes 3 and 5 are a set.
The blocks were owned by either a church or the City. For example, blocks A, B, and F where owned by the Episcopal Church, block C and D by the Catholic Church, blocks E, F, K, L, and M by the City, block G by the Wesleyan Church, and block H by the Presbyterian Church
Victoria (B.C.). Parks Department